top of page

What to do if you are in Harm’s Way in your Own Home During the Pandemic

If you or someone you love is in danger of immediate harm in your own home, your first

option is to find a location in your home away from the individual threatening you. If a location outside of the home is the only available option, go outside. After finding a safe location, call the local police whether that is the city, county, or state police. Make sure to follow the directions the dispatch operator provides on the best way the police can assist you.

Many resources continue to be open during the pandemic. Most have moved away from face to face contact, but resources such as Women’s Resource Center and Safe Harbor are still available via phone or email. Both resources continue to run their shelter operations and provide places for individuals in risk of harm a place to escape.

An option through the courts is to file for a Personal Protection Order (PPO). To find the forms required to file visit The forms can be completed through PDF or you can print out the forms and fill them in by hand. When preparing the form, you want to include all instances of harm, threats of harm, or intimidation committed against you. Two useful sites to visit when deciding to file for a Personal Protection Order are Michigan Legal Help,, for help completing the forms, and also which is a brochure that has very useful information about Personal Protection Orders.

During these unique times, harm can not only come from others but from within also. If you or someone you know is having difficulty coping with the current pandemic or thoughts of hurting yourself, Michigan Suicide Helpline,, is just one of many resources that may be available to help. These resources are there for you if you are in a crisis and are meant to help you. If you feel they may provide any comfort or relief, please utilize their services or help.

The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Sterling Law or the individual author nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the reader’s licensing jurisdiction.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page